Great Britain..............whats so great

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kylumi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject: Great Britain..............whats so great Reply with quote

Manufacturing is down to 14.8 GDP in the UK.

Apart from the climate levy...............which, obscurely only involves the UK doing thier "green bit" at the cost of the manufacturer................

I now get this c**p landing on my desk this morning...............as follows:

Quote:
The Commission proposed a new EU regulatory framework for the Registration, Evaluation and Authorisation of Chemicals (REACH) on 29 October 2003. The aim is to improve the protection of human health and the environment through the better and earlier identification of the properties of chemical substances. At the same time, innovative capability and competitiveness of the EU chemicals industry should be enhanced. The benefits of the REACH system will come gradually, as more and more substances are phased into REACH.

The REACH proposal gives greater responsibility to industry to manage the risks from chemicals and to provide safety information on the substances. Manufacturers and importers will be required to gather information on the properties of their substances, which will help them manage them safely, and to register the information in a central database. A Chemicals Agency will act as the central point in the REACH system: it will run the databases necessary to operate the system, co-ordinate the in-depth evaluation of suspicious chemicals and run a public database in which consumers and professionals can find hazard information.

In essence this means for every chemical part used in my companys formulations each one has to be documented before it can be entered onto a central data-base.
The resources to control this information acts as an enormous burden to the manufacturer..................whoever they may.

God Help GB Manufucturing ................. it will take some kind of miracle to drag it back from the depths it has sunk to.
I personally think we are not far away from going completely to the bottom.
tkboxer
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Great Britain..............whats so great Reply with quote

[quote=God Help GB Manufucturing ................. it will take some kind of miracle to drag it back from the depths it has sunk to.
I personally think we are not far away from going completely to the bottom.[/quote]

The U.S. .....worlds largest economy?
Lets see, we were a great manufacturer, then we became a service industry economy and now we are "Consumer-based ecomony". That means we buy everything everyone else makes and since we are the largest economy in the world we have to buy lots of it! Need tech help with that computer, no problem, a nice man in India will assist you, need a new car, no problem, there are boatloads coming over from Asia everyday, need that latest movie on DVD, no problem, some fine folks in Mexico will make it available at Wal-Mart on Tuesday.
The problem is most Americans are in debt up to their eyeballs, they have refinanced the homes two or three times being a "good consumer". Their borrowing power is just about tapped out, so what happens next? A recession I guess, hmmm...not good for us, even worse if your a country selling to us, a worldwide recession. I don't mean to be a pessamist but I don't see having a happy ending folks, in the meantime lets enjoy the ride.
The point of this reply was to confirm, western economies are "not far away from going completely to the bottom".
kylumi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy i did not want to mention the US economy..............but, sadly it is all to true.

Its all going to end up with the Chinese as the worlds "super-power"....then we will all be in "doopy-doo"
blknight3
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylumi wrote:
Very Happy i did not want to mention the US economy..............but, sadly it is all to true.

Its all going to end up with the Chinese as the worlds "super-power"....then we will all be in "doopy-doo"

Now that is a positive spin:) Just think of all the Chinese Food outlets then
tziamanik

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that China will rule but I'm not afraid of that, because they have great civilazation and they live with honor and also they have a low profile...
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
sawtooth
Exceptional Member
Exceptional Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

US manufacturing is all but disappearing. I worked for almost 26 years for what was once the largest textile company in the world. While I was there, they went from 65,000 employees to less than 5000. Nearly all manufacturing was moved to India, China and other overseas locations, and then the company declared Chapter 11 * for US only. Our vendors started demanding payment upfront, and I had to figure out how to do that and still meet the needs of our inventory and materials handling/cost system software. Four months later, our vendors began to trust us again, and I was forcibly "retired." The company was unable to come out of * in 18 months, and was purchased by their largest creditor. They were paired with another textile company, and both of them are now "international."

My son has had 2 real jobs (MacDonalds while in high school doesn't count) and both of them (textiles was one) fell out from under him. He thought about trying radiology because that is not being outsourced heavily, but the hospital offering a course in the subject was only accepting students who could prove health insurance coverage. That disappeared with his last job. His latest plan is getting a concealed handgun permit and working part-time for a private detective. That was the only offer he got. I'm not happy.
DVDCoverArt
Site Master
Site Master

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Our Governments Fault Reply with quote

If I get going on this subject I will end up writing pages and pages. We can thank our wonderful bureaucrats in Washington for the job loss in manufacturing and other job sectors.

NAFTA should be renamed to something I won't say here, along with the other free trade agreements our government is working on. Let’s not forget the corporations that have taken advantage of these agreements to the detriment of American workers.

Our government has made it easier and more economical for businesses to "Outsource" jobs. The over 4 million jobs that have been created that President Bush brags about are really people who use to have one job making a decent living now having to hold down two jobs just to make ends meet.

There are people with Masters Degrees working along side my son making $12 dollars an hour. That is a far cry from the hundred grand some of them use to make.

If anyone thinks things will change if Democrats take control, don't hold your breath. As far as I am concerned there is no difference between Republicans and Democrats. If we really want to see a change we need to go back to the concept our founding Fathers had which was for the common citizen, working for the people, to guide our country.

Did you know that after serving just 10 years a Senator or Congressman can retire with a full pension and free medical for the rest of their life? And to think that they are thinking of raising the retirement age to 70? Is that hypocritical or what?
Seiji
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you heard this news about Halliburton:
http://www.wkrc.com/news/national/story.aspx?content_id=DDD9456C-8F2E-4CF9-8AEB-54A5381A3177

And on a side note:
JERUSALEM (AP) - Israel's defense minister hinted Saturday that the Jewish state is preparing for military action to stop Iran's nuclear program, but said international diplomacy must be the first course of action.
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060122/D8F9EEN00.html

The world is in chaos.

Last edited by Seiji on Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
blknight3
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVD I applaud your comments!!!! WHile not from the US t hings are almost as bad here in Canada. The only good thing so far is the free medical, but I can't help but wonder how long that is going to last as the overall population grows older.

It's truly sad to see how things are steadily going down hill, and the more the politicos tell us things are improving the worse they get. And the easier they make it for companies to export the jobs to other countries. And the easier for those same countries to export the product back to us.
kylumi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tziamanik said

Quote:
I think that China will rule but I'm not afraid of that, because they have great civilazation and they live with honor and also they have a low profile...

er.............what do they print as news headlines in the Greek broadsheets?

what about the Boxer Rebellion, Tiananmen Square, detention without trial, forced confessions, torture, and mistreatment of prisoners as well as severe restrictions on freedoms of speech, the press, assembly, association, religion, and workers' rights, as being violations of their definition of human rights. They argue these violations stem from the PRC government's intolerance of dissent and the inadequacy of legal safeguards for individual political rights.

You have heard of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse and in particular the Pale Horse .................. well, lets hope the fury of the fourth horseman does not ride towards western civilization in a hurry.

YES LONG LIVE THE PRC.............and all that comes with it. NOT.
johncap
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spudgun wrote:
Great Britain was the world's first true superpower - as such it should serve as a warning to the US who will probably suffer the same fate and be overtaken by China.

Rome was the world's first superpower. If it weren't for depravity, Italians would still rule!

Take it from an Italian! Twisted Evil
kylumi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depravity................... Laughing

I thought it just outgrew itself and fell into financial deficit....................then the slave uprising led to Rome being ransacked.

Read Edward Gibsons "Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire"............its full of interesting stuff...............Wink

I love Italy as it today...............with her magnificent cities and beautiful surrounding countryside Very Happy
johncap
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylumi wrote:
Depravity................... Laughing

I thought it just outgrew itself and fell into financial deficit....................then the slave uprising led to Rome being ransacked.

Read Edward Gibsons "Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire"............its full of interesting stuff...............Wink

I love Italy as it today...............with her magnificent cities and beautiful surrounding countryside Very Happy

And annual changing of political parties. And depravity.... GOOD depravity....
sam vimes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Britains biggest problem, is this goverment. It has passed more laws in the last few years than the previous govements did in 25 years. Its called her "the Nanny State" It trys to rule our lives. If it could dictate what we eat and wear it would do.
They are just bottom feeders. I envy the freedom of so many other cultures, especialy my favorite destination The USA. I know some of you yanks moan about some of your liberties being eroded because of security, but its far worse here. We are loosing our freedom of movement and freedom of speech. We have more survalence cameras than any other country in the world...... Just think on that one.......... More than China, more than Cuba, more than Iran... Everytime we set foot out our door there is a camera watching and recording our movements. Just wait till they introduce these biometric id cards. We will end up having to use these everytime we wish to buy something when using a credit card. or visit the doctors, mabee even get on a train or bus. We are rushing headlong to an Orson Wells utopian state, where the "goverment" will know where where you are, where you go, what you do, think, and say. Its not science fiction, and its not paranoia. Beware
johncap
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam vimes wrote:
...We have more survalence cameras than any other country in the world...... Just think on that one.......... More than China, more than Cuba

LOL CUBA? Last I looked surveillance cameras need more than coconut juice and vines to work! Cuba? They're still driving '59 Chevys for Gods-sakes!

From our perspective I'd rather see meaningful incursions into civil liberties that at least have a modicum of meaning to them, thatn the lip service we have here. Our borders are wide open and no one cares. Business people get slammed for having a steel pen in their briefcase and thousands of illegals pour in every day from wide open borders. All our beloved Homeland Security money goes into is advertising intended to scare the bejesus out of soccer moms. I'm sorry, football moms, for you Brits.
Seiji
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone catch this in the news:

Terrorist Drug Groups Plan Attacks at US-Mexico Border
January 29, 2006 09:21 AM EST

By Sher Zieve – On Sunday, it is reported that members of the terrorist gang MS-13, working with Central and South American drug cartels, have been planning coordinated attacks at specific locations on the US-Mexico border. The information comes from an alert issued by the DHS (Department of Homeland Security).

The alert is said to read: "After enough members have been pre-positioned along the border, a coordinated attack using firearms was to commence against all law enforcement, to include Border Patrol.” The Daily Bulletin, who obtained the alert, reported that “law enforcement officials along the border said they had not received the alert”.

This latest planned drug trafficking invasion comes just days after members of the Mexican military and drug traffickers met the US Border Patrol in a Texas stand-off.

On 25 January, Rep. Tom Tancredo (R-CO) called for an immediate deployment of US troops to the US-Mexico border. Tancredo said: “Our border has literally turned into a war zone with foreign military personnel challenging our laws and our sovereignty. The Mexican military is using its overwhelming firepower to hold the U.S. Border Patrol and other law enforcement at bay. The only way to deal with this dangerous situation is to tap the resources of our own military. I call on President Bush and the Governors of border states to immediately deploy military personnel to defend our borders against the Mexican military.”

I love how they didn't even bother to alert any law enforcement along the border towns “law enforcement officials along the border said they had not received the alert”.
johncap
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seiji wrote:
Did anyone catch this in the news:

Terrorist Drug Groups Plan Attacks at US-Mexico Border
January 29, 2006 09:21 AM EST

By Sher Zieve – On Sunday, it is reported that members of the terrorist gang MS-13, working with Central and South American drug cartels, have been planning coordinated attacks at specific locations on the US-Mexico border. The information comes from an alert issued by the DHS (Department of Homeland Security).

The alert is said to read: "After enough members have been pre-positioned along the border, a coordinated attack using firearms was to commence against all law enforcement, to include Border Patrol.” The Daily Bulletin, who obtained the alert, reported that “law enforcement officials along the border said they had not received the alert”.

This latest planned drug trafficking invasion comes just days after members of the Mexican military and drug traffickers met the US Border Patrol in a Texas stand-off.

On 25 January, Rep. Tom Tancredo (R-CO) called for an immediate deployment of US troops to the US-Mexico border. Tancredo said: “Our border has literally turned into a war zone with foreign military personnel challenging our laws and our sovereignty. The Mexican military is using its overwhelming firepower to hold the U.S. Border Patrol and other law enforcement at bay. The only way to deal with this dangerous situation is to tap the resources of our own military. I call on President Bush and the Governors of border states to immediately deploy military personnel to defend our borders against the Mexican military.”

I love how they didn't even bother to alert any law enforcement along the border towns “law enforcement officials along the border said they had not received the alert”.

Hell, Homeland Security is too busy worrying about those soccer moms to worry about a real threat. Gee, what color would this be?

Besides, exactly what troops would those be that we should deploy? They're all over in Iraq "defending" us.
johncap
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drwaido wrote:
DVD

Little late adding to this post. It is criminal that congressfolk can legislate themselves these types of benefits. Most people complain about it, then send the same bums back every election. Wish there was a way I could think of to change it. Question

Waido

Peope don't see this stuff as corruption. It's like gambling, everyone accepts it. We've got politicians redsitrcting voting districts so only those who support them can vote for them. It's all crazy and out of control. I'm gonna find me a nice island somewhere. Satellite TV and Internet, my own generator for computers, that's it.
Seiji
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Our Governments Fault Reply with quote

DVDCoverArt wrote:
If I get going on this subject I will end up writing pages and pages. We can thank our wonderful bureaucrats in Washington for the job loss in manufacturing and other job sectors.

NAFTA should be renamed to something I won't say here, along with the other free trade agreements our government is working on. Let’s not forget the corporations that have taken advantage of these agreements to the detriment of American workers.

Our government has made it easier and more economical for businesses to "Outsource" jobs. The over 4 million jobs that have been created that President Bush brags about are really people who use to have one job making a decent living now having to hold down two jobs just to make ends meet.

There are people with Masters Degrees working along side my son making $12 dollars an hour. That is a far cry from the hundred grand some of them use to make.

If anyone thinks things will change if Democrats take control, don't hold your breath. As far as I am concerned there is no difference between Republicans and Democrats. If we really want to see a change we need to go back to the concept our founding Fathers had which was for the common citizen, working for the people, to guide our country.

Did you know that after serving just 10 years a Senator or Congressman can retire with a full pension and free medical for the rest of their life? And to think that they are thinking of raising the retirement age to 70? Is that hypocritical or what?

Term limits. Kick them out regularly and get fresh blood in there, I agree.

As to people with degrees earning less... how many of them have degrees related to the overinflated tech sector bubble ( likely considering the general frame of time ) that explains part of the problem. They jumped into what looked like a highly promising career choice that unfortunately imploded. The good news is, it appears they're intelligent and much of what they already have can probably be applied toward parts of the tech sector where they can get a top end job with minimal retraining.

Manufacturing, indeed many other unskilled labor jobs...

( this is just a general descriptive term, far be it from my grunt hinder to claim it takes no skill to do manual labor... any monkey can do it, but you actually have to have some intelligence and talent to do it *well* )

... are simply gong to vanish. The job market is changing, much the same as it did when manufacturing came to the forefront. Machines can do these jobs quicker and more efficiently, or can be used to assist fewer people to do it quicker and more efficiently. There are always going to be grunt jobs, because some things just can't be done by a machine, no matter how advanced they become, but the number of them that pay high end salaries is going to be declining continuously as time goes on. You have to be prepared to re-train yourself with new skills you can market to a changing job market. Improvise, overcome, adapt.

Many companies that had been outsourcing are bringing their business back to this country. People are tired of reaching someone in India who can barely understand you and whom you can barely understand. They're taking their business elsewhere and the companies in question are taking note of it. Jobs are going to get outsourced, and the almost outright encouragement of it in some of the policies currently in place is more than a little disturbing, but this will all balance out in the end. It's a matter of making our country competitive for *insourcing* of jobs where our location or workforce is well suited to a business' needs. This is already strongly in evidence with Japanese auto makers.

Most people who "have to work two jobs" do so to maintain their standard of living... not to make ends meet. People in this country have it so good, they believe that DSL, satellite TV ( on a big screen HD Plasma TV ), microwaves, and numerous other conveniances are necessities of life.

They aren't.

If you have to work two jobs to maintain or improve your standard of living, then that's what you've got to do. The cost of internet service or cable/sat TV every month will buy a whole lot of food at a save-a-lot or other cheapo grocery store. It will also go a long way toward purchasing school clothes, supplies, and fees towards a kids education.

You get where I'm going with this, I'm sure. There's a difference between being poor and living beyond/right at your means.

Like it or not, communication and travel advances have made the economy global. We have to participate and compete. There is no other option.

Innovation, adaptation, and perseverance have always been the hallmarks of American Business and the American worker, it's the reason we're where we are today. We need to remember that.
tkboxer
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree with you Seiji, we built one of the highest standards of living and now we are trying to maintain it in a global economy enviorment tnat we are currently not competitive in. Innovation as you say should provide decent employment for the average worker, for the sake of the upcoming generation I pray that it does. Not to be all doom and gloom, but looking out 25 or 30 years I see the biggest promblems as: 1) the further decay of the American political system. 2) the real possibility of worldwide conflict (war).
hyoogy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And i bet you still vote Labour at the next election... Nobody to blame but yourselves. Vote BNP, they know exactly what is needed to put us back where we belong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DVDCoverArt.org Forum Index :: The BLOG All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: