Brokeback Mountain a Social Statement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kylumi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Brokeback Mountain a Social Statement Reply with quote

I went to see this movie yesterday and was completely moved by it.
it is a film which which draws a line right through what is considered an acceptable relationship between a pair of human beings and, what is not.
In this case a couple of Cowboys (male) form a sexual relationship which last for two decades and is fired by "infrequent meetings" on a mountain top. In some parts of the USA today this is still clearly not considered acceptable behaviour and the only way to deal with it when it is discovered is with violence, which is considered acceptable behaviour.
Its a sad reflection of how dark the human mind when violence is thought to be the only option to destroy something that it cannot or does not understand.
Love is love whoever is involved, it cannot be stopped, it just happens.
Just because it involves a couple of the same sex does not mean it is something disgusting, it is just means love to those people.
I would sooner live in a world full of "gay" people than one filled with "macho" characters who live bigoted lives and see nefarious activity around every corner.
The whole of this movie has a subtle undercurrent to it........"fear of discovery"
I guess this movie will "bomb" in Texas and Arizona where it easier just to "pull a gun" to make your argument. But, you never know someone out there may just take something positive from it.

Quote:
The lonesome chill that seeps through Ang Lee's epic western, "Brokeback Mountain," is as bone deep as the movie's heartbreaking story of two cowboys who fall in love almost by accident. One night, when their campfire dies, and the biting cold drives them to huddle together in a bedroll, a sudden spark between Ennis Del Mar (Heath Ledger) and Jack Twist (Jake Gyllenhaal) flares into an undying flame. Both Mr. Ledger and Mr. Gyllenhaal make this anguished love story physically palpable. Mr. Ledger magically and mysteriously disappears beneath the skin of his lean, sinewy character. It is a great screen performance, as good as the best of Marlon Brando and Sean Penn. The pain and disappointment felt by Jack, who is softer, more self-aware and self-accepting, continually registers in Mr. Gyllenhaal's sad, expectant silver-dollar eyes. "Brokeback Mountain" is not quite the period piece that some would like to imagine. America's squeaky closet doors may have swung open far enough for a gay rodeo circuit to flourish. But let's not kid ourselves. In large segments of American society, especially in sports and the military, those doors remain sealed. Yet "Brokeback Mountain" is ultimately not about sex (there is very little of it in the film) but about love: love stumbled into, love thwarted, love held sorrowfully in the heart. — Stephen Holden, The New York Times
J0nn0
Exceptional Artist
Exceptional Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the "moral minority" may have a few harsh words to say about this flick, both here and in the U.S.
I'm looking forward to seeing it. Nice to see Ang Lee moving away from his usual stuff.
DVDCoverArt
Site Master
Site Master

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Oppinion Reply with quote

Regardless of one's opinion or belief system, it is not our place to judge. For those who take the religious point of view, even the Scriptures state very clearly that only one person who has ever been born on this earth, and he was perfect, is qualified to judge humankind. We are told to accept everyone without reservation, in fact, we are commanded to love even our enemies.
Blackstar
Valued Member
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.It's easy to point at people who are unlike ourselves and say it's not right and shun them,but if we take a moment and think about it you realize we're all different in one way or another and we are all just trying to live our lives.I heard the movie is actually really good to boot!
GEORGIEBOY26
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are each as individual as our dreams........
lostpr0ph3t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the movie has gotten excellent reviews , and is up for quite a few awards. It really hasn't stirred up that much controversy here in the states. Of course there's a few sides that will never go for a movie like this, but the same can be said for most movies. I think people aren't as a bothered by homosexuality in movies or on T.V. as they were a few years ago. Hopefully that's saying something.
sawtooth
Exceptional Member
Exceptional Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brokeback Mountain won Best Director for Ang Lee and Best Picture in the Critic's Choice Awards show tonight.
tkboxer
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed there are no covers for this film.
GEORGIEBOY26
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkboxer wrote:

dont worry Boxer.......there will be...... Wink Smile Smile
Passkes
Exceptional Artist
Exceptional Artist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be who you are, be who you want to be, don`t be what others want or expect you to be. Individual means making up your own mind and feelings.
GEORGIEBOY26
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkboxer wrote:

THERE ARE NOW...... Wink Very Happy
Wildebill
Donator
Donator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This section needs one dissenting opinion, so here goes mine. I do not care for the alternate lifestyle, speaking with one voice one vote. People can, do and are free to live and express themselves how they want. I don't care for the lifestyle. boys men girls women can have any relationship they desire, but do not tell me that I AM wrong or incorrect if I don't agree or grant my acceptance. I will not stand in Judgement so, none will not pass on to me. Whoopie G. quoted Ann Frank (In spite of everything, I still believe there is Good In People.
Thanks for letting me have my opinion.
That, That Is Thy Friend In Deed, He Will Help Thee In Thy Need. When Thou Sorrows, He Shall Weep. When Thou Liest Awake, He Cannot Sleep. These Are But A Few Things To Know, To Distinguish Friend From Foe.
DVDCoverArt
Site Master
Site Master

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: I agree Reply with quote

Wildebill, I agree with you. Mine was a dissent; I just took a very subtle approach. I was beginning to wonder if anyone was going to vote against the movie, so to speak. As I said, everyone is free to do as they please as long as they don't try to force their way of thinking on me.

Just as with smoking, people can do it all they want as long as they (the smoker) can prevent their second hand smoke from traveling towards me. If they can't control where the smoke goes they shouldn't be allowed to smoke in any public place, inside or outside. Some may think this view is harsh; however, I am allergic to all forms of tobacco smoke, it causes my eyes to swell up and irritates my lungs, which causes me breathing problems.

I have not gone to see this movie, nor will I. I don't believe in the lifestyle, so there is no reason for me to see the movie. I believe in the scriptural view regarding this lifestyle. I also believe it is not my place to judge those who practice this lifestyle as some do (I am not referring to you). I will leave the judging up to someone who is far more perfect than I.
Wildebill
Donator
Donator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, Post Master General - (little humor). The opinions Expressed Here are the sole property of the Expressor and No Further use, broadcast, publication oral or written shall be exercised!
That, That Is Thy Friend In Deed, He Will Help Thee In Thy Need. When Thou Sorrows, He Shall Weep. When Thou Liest Awake, He Cannot Sleep. These Are But A Few Things To Know, To Distinguish Friend From Foe.
kylumi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just as with smoking, people can do it all they want as long as they (the smoker) can prevent their second hand smoke from traveling towards me. If they can't control where the smoke goes they shouldn't be allowed to smoke in any public place, inside or outside. Some may think this view is harsh; however, I am allergic to all forms of tobacco smoke, it causes my eyes to swell up and irritates my lungs, which causes me breathing problems.

i wonder how many people complained about smoking in the trenches during the WW1 when it was the only luxury available to millions of young men who just about to light up thier very last cigarette.
DVDCoverArt
Site Master
Site Master

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Smoking Reply with quote

[quote="kylumi"]
Quote:

I don't know if I would call it a luxury Piggy. As a veteran, I frequent the VA hospital on a regular basis. It is amazing how many veterans dragged an oxygen tank around with them. They may have survived the war, but their quality of life went up in smoke. How many of them died after the war because of complications and illnesses caused from smoking?

In 1979 when I was in basic training, the only time anyone could break ranks when we were still in formation but at rest, were those who smoked. You would be amazed how many young men took up smoking just so they could break ranks. If the policies in the military that are in effect today were in effect then, maybe some, or most of those who became addicted to cigarettes then would not be addicted today.

I have nothing against those who smoke; I have friends who smoke, in fact, my mother smokes. When my friends or my mother come to visit me at my house they have to smoke outside, I don't care if it is the dead of winter with six feet of snow outside and the wind blowing at 50 miles an hour.

I don't believe that anyone who smokes should be allowed to smoke inside or outside any public building, or anywhere near a public place. This may seem kind of harsh, but until those who smoke can control the second hand smoke and prevent it from traveling in my direction I am allergic to tobacco smoke, my eyes swell and turn red, and my lungs get inflamed making it difficult to breath.

I do not blame those who are addicted with their addiction, I blame the tobacco industry. The tobacco industry knew what they were doing; they glamorized their product to the detriment of those who would use it. It is one thing to go after adults, but to target children is unconscionable.

Maybe it is time that everyone become addicted to fresh air.

Last edited by DVDCoverArt on Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:22 pm; edited 6 times in total
1Bullet
Artist
Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 years ago this movie would not have been made, and smoking was total acceptable. Now it seem that both issues have done a 180.

I as a smoker repect the rights of individuals such as DVDCoverArt who has problems with second hand smoke. However the alternative lifestlye just keeps ramming their miniority view down my throat.
jonightflyer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1Bullet wrote:
However the alternative lifestlye just keeps ramming their miniority view down my throat.

So true, so very true and I'm sick to death of it. Crying or Very sad
DVDCoverArt
Site Master
Site Master

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Agree Reply with quote

1Bullet wrote:
I as a smoker repect the rights of individuals such as DVDCoverArt who has problems with second hand smoke. However the alternative lifestlye just keeps ramming their miniority view down my throat.

Not only that, but a twisted sense of family and what supposedly represents an atypical family is what is now represented on TV, even if it isn’t close to reality.

I was disappointed when “Joan Of Arcadia” was taken off the air. It was a good family oriented program. I had recorded “The Book of Daniel” on my TIVO and finally gotten around to watching it. I thought it would be similar to “Joan of Arcadia.” Not even close.

The Minister (Daniel) has a daughter who sells drugs, one son is always having sex with his best friends daughter, his wife is constantly drinking martinis, his brother in law stole 3.2 million dollars from his parish, his wife's sister (married to the thief) is having an affair with her husbands secretary who is an accomplice in the theft of the parishes' money and who was having sex with her boss when he apparently died from a heart attack, his good friend who is a Bishop in the Catholic Church is helping him get back the money using his ties with the mob, Daniel's father who is a bishop in his sons faith is having an affair with a female Bishop because his wife doesn't give him enough attention anymore because she has Alzheimer's, Daniel also got the female Bishop hooked on the same prescription pain medication that he is addicted too, oh, and his other son is gay. And this was only the premier.

I think I am out of breath now.

The strangest part of the whole show is that Jesus speaks with Daniel all the time and seems to be ok with everything everybody is doing.
I don't know about you, but it seems to me that the scriptures don't exactly endorse most of these behaviors.

Considering most kids spend their time in front of a TV, the TV has become their source of information and a form of education. The problem is, what they are “learning” is not reality.

This movie will probably win an Academy Award for Best Picture, but not because it was the best picture. It will win because of its social statement.
hyoogy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john wayne will be turning in his grave

cowboys are supposed to get the woman at the end
form33
Artist
Artist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I am curious about one thing, although perhaps not is depp a question as others... How many of the actors who play roles like this, or the one in six feet under, are actually homosexual. I don't know why this is something that I ask myself, but it is, so does anyone know?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DVDCoverArt.org Forum Index :: The BLOG All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: