The Corruption of the Founding Fathers Intent

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DVDCoverArt
Site Master
Site Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: The Corruption of the Founding Fathers Intent Reply with quote

One of my greatest concerns today is the Power that those in a minority position can force upon me and my children.

It used to be, for example, that if there was something objectionable on TV you could simply change the channel. If a child was being verbally or even physically abusive to a teacher, that teacher could take appropriate action in regards to the child. Today a teacher can be fired if they even touch a child even if it was in self defense. Even a parent is limited because the child has, in some ways, more Power than the parent. And the experts wonder why children are becoming more disruptive and violent. The sad thing is, it is not until a child does something serious that anything is done, and it is the government that takes over at that point. We all know how proficient the Government is when solving problems.

I don't remember the State that it occurred, but it is the only state in the United States that allows any child, regardless of age, to be tried as an adult. When I say regardless of age, I mean regardless of age. A child can be 2, 5, 8, it dosen't matter.

An 11 year old boy had been playing around with a rifle for a couple of days shooting out lamp posts, shooting at signs; he even almost shot his neighbor. One night he accidentally shot and killed an 18 year old man. This 11 year old became the first person tried under this new law, he was charged with 1st degree murder.

At the trial, a former sniper testified that the rifle was impossible to aim because the stock had been cut off and the front sight was missing. He said there was no way that the shooting was anything but a terrible accident.

The 11 year old was ultimately convicted of 2nd degree murder. Fortunately, the new law gave judges wide discretion in sentencing. he could impose an adult sentence, a juvenile sentence, or a blended sentence which is a combination of the adult and juvenile sentencing. He was sentenced as a juvenile, which means he would stay in a juvenile correction facility until he has been rehabilitated or until he turns 21, which ever comes first.

At the sentencing, the Judge severely criticized the state legislature for passing such a barbaric law. He said that stiffer sentences for juveniles are not going to solve the root of the problem, which was a failure within our society in trying to determine what the problems were. Instead, our answer was simply to through the key away.

What is ironic is that this child’s mother did everything humanly possible to get her son help. Time and time again she applied to special programs only to be turned down because her son had not yet committed a serious enough crime even though the police had been involved with 24 incidents involving this child. Hmm, who failed who here?

This brings me to my pet peeve. I do not object to anyone’s right to do what they want in the privacy of their own home or who they want to do it with. I do object to those who try to impose or expose the things that they like in my home or in public places or on public streets or as advertisements that invade mine and my children’s senses as we try to go about our daily lives.

It is really sad when your child is trying to do research on the internet about the mating habits of say a Penguin and what pops up are pictures of people practicing all sorts of “Mating” habits, some even with animals. My kids don’t look for this stuff, it just pops up. Filters are a joke. Besides not working, they integrate themselves so deeply into the operating system that your computer doesn’t function properly half the time. Maybe if the only thing you ever did with your computer is word processing you wouldn’t notice the problems created.

The thing is, why should I have to install software in order to keep the smut from getting in? My kids weren’t looking for it, they didn’t search for it, it was simply forced upon them. Anyone who has kids knows you can’t look over their shoulder 24 hours a day, nor should you have too, especially when the kids themselves aren’t looking for it.

A few years ago the FCC was considering requiring * sites to use a special domain extension. The * sites complained that requiring them to do so would violate the First Amendment which protects their right to Free Speech. What it really would have done is make it easier to block their sites because all you would have to do is block their domain extension. * is a multi-billion dollar industry in the United States alone. Without the ability to reach anyone they wanted too, their revenue would have been impacted along with the taxes the government collects from their industry. So it really wasn’t in the best interest of the government.

Congress later passed the Child Protection Act designed to protect children from * by imposing stiff fines and possible jail time on any site that allowed their material to be seen by children on the internet. Basically it was designed to stop * popups and * spam mail. The Act was later ruled unconstitutional by the US Supreme Court because it violated *’s right, under the 1st amendment, to free speech.

I wonder what the founding fathers would say regarding the way the 1st amendment has been interpreted by our judicial system. Do you think they would approve of its application regarding *? Is it being applied the way they intended? Do you think they would consider our attempt to protect our children a violation of free speech?

My family should not have to live their life with blinders on. I am not naïve when it comes to sex and violence. I have four beautiful kids and I had fun helping to create them. I still have fun and I am not even creating kids anymore. It just seems that my right to choose what my family and I want to be exposed too is not being respected by those who are responsible for interpreting the constitution.

The majority of Americans feel the same way about this topic, but our judicial system cares very little about what the majority thinks. I agree that the minority’s voice needs to be protected, but our country’s sense of values, or lack there of, is doing immeasurable damage to all of us.

Last edited by DVDCoverArt on Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
tkboxer
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our founding fathers created a relatively perfect document, and our politicans and judical branch has for the most part been screwing it up ever since.
I can't dwell too much on the state of our country, it can be depressing and it really ticks me off, and this is from someone who votes!
kylumi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting statement and a topic which ultimately travels the world.

I think in some respects parental care and duty of care to our own children is the starting point. If they are not raised to respect the laws of their country ............. or even the simple difference between right and wrong in general, from an early age............they will more than likely grow into adults carrying and practising the same ideals they grew up with.
arabian_knight
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I agree with you piggy on your comments Very Happy
kylumi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Growing up as a kid...........i learned the hard way Wink
BigBalloon
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 topics very well put, with out the child begin tought respect they grow up without any and hence think and do wot they want.
Another issue is that of people who move to another country and think that they shouldn't have to put up with that countries religion , beliefs as it offends them , well i'm sorry if u cant obey a countries rules , religion etc dont move there . To much of this is happening in the uk.
kylumi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steady big fella .............. you are entering "dodgy" ground here.......but, i agree Wink
BigBalloon
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know the dodgy ground thats y i skimmed the top !
kylumi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have walked the "dodgy" ground m8....................don't even go there Sad
BigBalloon
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not going to mate u dont have to worry there
flyers2thecup
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm with you 100% DVDCA!

i remember when i was growing up, i was the youngest of 5, only boy, living with our mother. she was 5" tall and barely 100 lbs. but when she spoke, we listened. i knew when she was angry and i was scared when i was supposed to be. and that's coming from someone who's only been "spanked" (belt) three times in my whole childhood (all 3 as a young teenager). so it's not like it was a regular thing. kids just don't FEAR their parents. as you said, they're too protected. i'm not saying you need to make your kids ball up and piss their pants in fear, but they should know when it's time to shape up. i always tell my wife, when my two sons are old enough, and deserving, they're gonna get their share of beatings. if it only happens 3 times, so be it. hopefully that's the case. but i'm not letting anyone tell me how to discipline my children.
kylumi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my parents never beat me...............i learned my lesson after leaving home Very Happy
Passkes
Exceptional Artist
Exceptional Artist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you DVDCA.
This is something that plays in every country.
I think in some countrys the law towards parents should be adjusted.
For example if a parent in the Netherlands would punish a child by giving him or her a nice old smack for the butt or hands then Child rights come marging in :S You should not hit a child pfff....
I see lots of children laughing at their parents because they only shout and shout and never do something else than talking and shouting against their children. Kids get used to shouting at a certain moment, shouting doesn`t hurt and it will not make a child respect you.

I have had some smacks and kicks for the butt (well often Razz) and it really made me respect my parents. If my dad told me to go to bed I did it. I didn`t try to dare my father.

Concerning sex and violence isn`t violence something that is being printed in their little minds as soon as they start to watch the tv?
I mean look at the cartoons and series made for kids now days...
It is full of violence and bad attitude: Power Rangers...., Pokemon...., chin chan and then the language the characters speak... I can`t remember Bugs Bunny or Lucky Luke call some of the words they use these days.

Sex on the internet is hidden in every little corner there is indeed.
Filters as DVDCA says really don`t help and the .... keeps popping up.
I think the best way to solve this is to learn your kids to just click it away when it happens and make them understand what it is and that it could be dangerous for the computer (virusses and trojans) and they won`t be able to play any games on it anymore or get on the internet because of that junk.
kylumi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicely put..........pas.........m8 Very Happy
DVDCoverArt
Site Master
Site Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: I agree Reply with quote

drwaido wrote:
You can't raise your kids in a vacuum, but sometimes I wish I could. The best we can do is instill values in them and be there to guide them when they veer off the path.

I agree, which is why I have been rather liberal in what I have allowed my children to do and see over the years. That doesn't mean I have allowed them to drink or see X rated movies, but if you make too many things appear mysterious to kids they are going to want to check it out even more.

Our family has engaged in many frank discussions about everything from sex to politics and I think they are wiser and more knowledgeable as a result. My children know that they can ask me or their mother about anything, and we will always give them truthful answers. They have never heard the Birds and the Bees speech from us.

To give you an idea how wise my daughter is, I asked her once why she doesn't date, she said that boys would just interfere with her education and other goals she has right now, and most of them only want to try and "Get down my pants." She said that many of her friends are no longer virgins and as a result, many of them have dropped out of school, are not continuing their education, or have become pregnant. She said that she doesn't care if she ends up being a virgin till she is 40, she said, "I consider it a badge of honor."

Believe me; my daughter would have no problem getting a date. She was asked by more than one young man to her high school Prom, but decided to go stag with a bunch of other girls instead. It was her idea by the way. I have posted a picture of my daughter in the "Our Future Is Our Children" post within this forum. I am a Proud father, what can I say.

The point is, we can teach our children values even in this world that we live in today. I have protected my children by making sure one parent was always home. If my wife could have made more money than me I would have been happy to stay home.

Now that I am retired my children have two parents home 24 hours a day. They joke that they couldn't get away with anything even if they wanted too. Out of four children only my 19 year old daughter and 16 year old son are left at home. My two older boys live within 15 minutes of our house.

I wouldn't put the blame completely on parents when children have problems. Most families can barely get by with both parents working. Businesses and Corporations just don't seem to put a lot of value in the Family anymore. They care more about the bottom line. If things are ever going to change for the better, society as a hole needs to recognize the importance of the Family, and the positive impact stable Families can have on society.

Last edited by DVDCoverArt on Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
kylumi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicely put Wink
Wildebill
Donator
Donator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Voting Your Opinion really counted or mattered, It would be Outlawed
That, That Is Thy Friend In Deed, He Will Help Thee In Thy Need. When Thou Sorrows, He Shall Weep. When Thou Liest Awake, He Cannot Sleep. These Are But A Few Things To Know, To Distinguish Friend From Foe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DVDCoverArt.org Forum Index :: The BLOG All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: