anyone take the movie "server" plunge?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackhawkdown
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: anyone take the movie "server" plunge? Reply with quote

alot of my buddies are calling me antiquated for using discs. they have started to use a server w/ hot swappable hdds. they love not having to have discs and having the ability to load up full 1080p movies without worries about burning or space requirements.

what say you? i like the discs, for now, since the kids can look at and choose what they want to watch (cartoons and animated features). also, i can haul some movies to go when we go out.

i'm only considering this because i do have ALOT of discs and have to admit i don't know where some movies are...hehehe. a server of sorts would solve that problem.

BHD Twisted Evil
DVDCoverArt
Site Master
Site Master

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: I have a Media Server that uses Real discs Reply with quote

I have worked in the computer industry for years and if I have learned anything, there is nothing better than a reliable backup in case of a hard drive failure.

Data backups don't take up a lot of space, but trying to backup a whole library of 1080P movies stored on hard drives is not so easy. You would need the same number of drives that you are using for your media server.

I have over 1500 movies. If they were all BluRay and they were just "Movie Only," they would average about 18 Gigabytes each. 1024 Gigabytes equals one Terabyte. If you do the math, I would need a LOT of drives to store my movie library.

If you compress the movies you will degrade the video quality, thus defeating the purpose of storing HD movies on a media server. When I watch a BluRay movie, I want it to Look like a BluRay Movie!

I have an HDMI connection that runs from my desktop computer to each of my HD flat screens. You could say I have a media server; the only difference is that I have to insert the disc. Very Happy
blknight3
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have some movies on my PC (2 x 3TB) that I can stream to the TV if I chose to, But most of mine are in disj format. For one I prefer them that way, and two (as you said) I can take them with me.

Not to mention that I am somewhat old fashioned and still like the old things. For instance I prefer the tactile feel of a real book to an e reader.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DVDCoverArt.org Forum Index :: General Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: