Sony announces the release of its Blue Ray player for July

View previous topic :: View next topic  
talion
Exceptional Member
Exceptional Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Sony announces the release of its Blue Ray player for July Reply with quote

apparently the player will cost about $1000.

Any takers? Ready to trade in your DVDs yet?

I think I'll wait a while. Like until the market decides whether that or the HD competition will be the standard, and for the price to come down!

Anybody know whether regular DVDs can be played in this type of player?
daripper
*Resident Artist
*Resident Artist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I read somewhere that regular DVD's will not be compatible with the new players
but I could be wrong about that. I'm going to stick with my regular DVD's for just as long
as I can or until they quit making them. Wink
My name is 0110010001100001011100100110100101110000011100000110010101110010
*krafty*

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The playstation 3 due out this summer will incorporate a blueray player, I THINK.

this should only cost between 200 and 250 pounds sterling.
Very Happy
BigBalloon
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps3 has been delayed over here till november , think it was due to blueray probs
DVDCoverArt
Site Master
Site Master

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Standard Reply with quote

The new players will be compatible with current DVDs, but until they decide on a standard, I don't plan on purchasing one. I believe a lot of consumers feel the same way considering the largest purchasing block in the U.S. are from my generation. I clearly remember the Beta vs. VHS war. I made the right choice and bought VHS, but a lot of my friends didn't.

If you make the wrong decision and invest in the wrong format, you will end up wasting a lot of money. It is not cost effective for the Studios to support two formats, once the public decides which format they are going to support; the studios that were on the bandwagon of the other format will jump ship.

The same thing happened with Laser Disc and its competing format. I don't remember the name of the other format, all I remember is the disc was the same size but was enclosed in a special sleeve. A lot of people invested in that format, but once the public made a choice, it died off.

The movie studios will continue to use the current DVD format. They would loose too much revenue if they don't considering they make more from DVD sales on most movies than they do from the theater release of their movies. My suggestion is wait until the public decides and the loosing format is pulled from the market.
daripper
*Resident Artist
*Resident Artist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh yes I still remember the Beta vs. VHS war also, and I seem to remember the
Laser Disc war but I'm like DVD said I can't recall what it was called. I'm going to do
just like I did when the Beta vs. VHS war and the -R vs. +R DVD disc war was going
on. I'll just set back and see who comes out on top as the winner and save some $$$
or wait to see if they do like the -R and +R did and make both players and burners that
are compatible with both formats Blueray and HD + regular DVD. Wink
My name is 0110010001100001011100100110100101110000011100000110010101110010
chaotic646
Artist
Artist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LD never really caught on either. A few people had it but nothing compared to VHS and DVD. Like many others , I will wait until the standard is chosen before I start investing.
DVDCoverArt
Site Master
Site Master

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: LaserDisc Reply with quote

chaotic646 wrote:
LD never really caught on either. A few people had it but nothing compared to VHS and DVD. Like many others , I will wait until the standard is chosen before I start investing.

Actually, you would be amazed at how widespread LD was. It was the only true high resolution format available at the time and it was the only format that Widescreen was available in, as well as Dolby Pro Logic Surround Sound. Believe me, I know because I use to sell high end audio. Super VHS never took off because of the price of the player and the media. It also offered no sound advantage over standard VHS.

When I read about DVD for the first time I knew it would replace LD and VHS as a medium for movies so I sold my 1200 disc collection of Laser Discs while I could. Laser Discs averaged double what you pay for DVDs, so I had quite an investment. I did the same thing when CDs started hitting the market; I sold every vinyl record I had, including my entire Elvis collection which was extensive.

The important point I am trying to make is I always wait so that I don't end up getting burned.
annarere1960

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i will wait on this one.... Confused
tkboxer
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

annarere1960 wrote:

Me too....I'm still at least 6 months away from getting a HDTV, have to get that first.
For those of you with DirecTV, they will have a new HD receiver/dvr out by the end of summer and your local channels provided through DirecTv will be in HD as well as many other stations that are already delivering some programming in HD.
blackhawkdown
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkboxer wrote:
annarere1960 wrote:

Me too....I'm still at least 6 months away from getting a HDTV, have to get that first.
For those of you with DirecTV, they will have a new HD receiver/dvr out by the end of summer and your local channels provided through DirecTv will be in HD as well as many other stations that are already delivering some programming in HD.

ever consider using a channel master antenna and getting hd local OTA? MUCH clearer than any sat HD Very Happy

BHD Twisted Evil
tkboxer
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackhawkdown wrote:
tkboxer wrote:
annarere1960 wrote:

ever consider using a channel master antenna and getting hd local OTA? MUCH clearer than any sat HD Very Happy

BHD Twisted Evil

Too rural where I'm at, we only have 2 "over the air" stations. One is the NBC affiliate the other a local UHF station. Its just too mountainous around here for good reception and at 7,000 feet, we are higher than everything else. Here you have to have cable or satellite if you want to watch TV. Good idea though for many in flat urban areas. Why pay for something you can get for free.
chaotic646
Artist
Artist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a channel master 4228 for my locals in HD. I also have Directv's new KA KU dish and H20 HD receiver but where I live, our locals havent been turned on yet so I cant compare it to my OTA antenna. I guess the market Im in wont be turned on until the 4th quarter of this year.
GEORGIEBOY26
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i went for Beta during the vhs/beta war Embarassed Confused so i will definately wait and see this time.... Smile
talion
Exceptional Member
Exceptional Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for priecs todrop on the TVs too. It's amazing what a difference a year makes. literally thousands. I've pretty much decided I'll never buy first or maybe even 2nd generation anything anymore. doesn't seem to be any point given the rapid changes and price drops.
phil6580
Donator
Donator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="BigBalloon"]ps3 has been delayed over here till november , think it was due to blueray probs[/quote]

I,ve also heard this date but have also hearg it's because there is still a way of playing copies. Sony WANT to make sure it 100% cannot be chipped or hacked or anything like that.
snips71
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll wait too. I'm still watching a 35" tube I bought some fifteen years ago. Hopefully the war moves along quickly, because I am getting further behind in that end of technology. I remember beta hung around for about 3 years too long. Luckily we waited out the war and bought VHS. What a lifestyle change to be able to watch recent movies without having to wait 5 years until they were broadcast on TV.
talion
Exceptional Member
Exceptional Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, what did you mean about not playing copies? Did you mean you will only be able to play proprietary media? Isn't isn't supposed to be able to play older version DVDs as well? I must admit to ignorance in this area.
bagejoby

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the BD & HD war will be over very quickly as SONY's ps3 will ship with a BD player intact & the fact you will have to pay extra for the HD capability for the xbox 360...

Lets look at the facts;

Blu-ray supports more data capacity per layer compared to HD DVDs.

- Blu-ray can hold 25Gb of data with the dual layerdisc holding 50Gb (with 100 & 200Gb versions in the making)
- HD can hold 15Gb of data with the dual layer disc holding 30Gb

Blu-ray discs are tougher than HD

- The BD discs are is coated in a hard protective layer made of a clear polymer, providing the discs with superb scratch resistance. The user can even clean their BD discs with a tissue without a second thought.
- Where as the HD discs are like standard DVD's.

The Blu-ray discs are thinner

- BD discs are 0.01mm thick
- HD discs are 0.06mm thick

That might not seem like much, but if BD were to make there discs the same thickness they could even further improve the capacity of the discs.

The only downside i have heard about for Blu-ray so far is that it's going to be more expensive than HD
Makaveli_uk

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest the discs that can be copyed with ease will win

thats the way the market goes

sony had beta max (wot a * up that was)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DVDCoverArt.org Forum Index :: General Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: