Can DVD covers be printed on letter size paper?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezebel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:09 am    Post subject: Can DVD covers be printed on letter size paper? Reply with quote

Hello All,

I recently purchased the Epson R340 and wish to know if it will print 10.8 x 7.25 dvd covers on letter size paper. I tried to do this with my old HP 6122 and could never get it to work, just wasted a lot of time, paper and ink.

I played around with the borderless option on this Epson printer but it appears to stretch the printed output to a full 11 inches. BTW - I print my covers using Photoshop.

Any input would be appreciated.

TIA.

Jezebel
tkboxer
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I do. I print from Photoshop CS2 on a Epson R220. Open the cover to be printed in Photoshop, rotate it so it is in potrait mode, from PS File menu select Print with Preview, that will bring up Print dialog box, in that, make sure Center Image is checked under Position. Under Scaled to Print, make sure 100% and the sizes should be 10.8 and 7.25 inches. Then click on the Print. (you will have a warning come up about "clipping will occur", ignore it and click Proceed. That will bring up your printers dialog box from there you can choose the paper type and photo quality you desire, after that click on OK to print. On a 8.5 x 11 sheet of photo paper you should have about a half inch to trim off the top and bottom of the cover and a eighth inch off the sides. A rotary cutter is very handy for the trim work. Hope this was helpful.
flyers2thecup
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're in the USA...why bother...just get epson A4 paper from buy.com. it's $8 per 20 sheets. if you spend more than $25, you get from shipping. so appx $35 for 100 sheets. that's about the same as regular glossy, but you don't have to worry about anything when printing covers. then they even come in more handy when you need to print bigger spines.
Jezebel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas you guys came up with.

Tkboxer - I did what you suggested but still had about .17 inch of the image truncated. Not as bad as my HP printer but still too much cropping of the printed image to use.

Woobie - I imagine the same will happen with the s/w you mention if the printer can't handle the close edge printing.

Flyers - I've thought about using hi-grade paper but for now I'll stick to the penny a sheet paper. I think printing a cover in the highest quality setting combined with the glossy cover the cases I use produces a very good looking finished product.

Go Tigers Go!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DVDCoverArt.org Forum Index :: General Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: