Blu-Ray has outsold HD-DVD (so far)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
true
Donator
Donator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Blu-Ray has outsold HD-DVD (so far) Reply with quote

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20070307/tc_cmp/197800664

By Antone Gonsalves
InformationWeek Tue Mar 6, 6:26 PM ET

Sales of movies in the Blu-ray high-definition format have accounted for more than 60% of the market since the first week of January, far outpacing sales in the competing HD DVD format, figures from market researcher Nielsen VideoScan showed.
ADVERTISEMENT

Since the week ended Jan. 7, Blu-ray sales have ranged from a low of 63.3% to a high of 69.6%, VideoScan said Tuesday. On the week ended Feb. 18, the latest figures available, Blu-ray accounted for 65% of the market, compared with HD DVD's 35%.

VideoScan declined to draw any conclusions from the numbers, but starting about two weeks after the release of Sony's PlayStation 3 videogame console, which includes a Blu-ray DVD player, the high definition format steadily grabbed market share from HD-DVD. Sony, which created the Blu-ray format, released PlayStation in the United States on Nov. 17.

Between the weeks ended Nov. 26 and Dec. 17, 2006; HD DVD sales remained ahead of Blu-ray. But starting on the week ended Dec. 24, Blu-ray pulled ahead with 53.3% of the market, VideoScan said.

Sony is in a high-stakes war with HD DVD supporters to influence consumers, as well as manufacturers of high-definition DVD players. The battle is often compared to the VHS-Betamax battle that ushered in the VCR era. Sony lost with Betamax, but hopes to avoid the same fate with Blu-ray by leveraging the popularity of its PlayStation console.

Many Hollywood and consumer electronics manufacturers are taking sides in support of either Blu-ray or HD DVD. Goldwyn-Mayer, 20th Century Fox, Walt Disney Pictures, and Sony are exclusively releasing DVDs in Blu-ray, while Universal Studios is distributing only in HD DVD. Among player manufacturers, Sony, Hitachi and Philips favor Blu-ray, while Toshiba and NEC support HD DVD. Toshiba led the effort in the creation of HD DVD.

Warner and Paramount Pictures are the only two major studios that are releasing movies in both formats.
blknight3
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it looks like there is stilla way to go before this get's decided one way or the other.
DVDCoverArt
Site Master
Site Master

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: And the Winner Is?? Reply with quote

I haven't bought either format and won't until a winner is declared. Also, the price of players are still too high.

Based on the publics reaction so far, they feel the same way I do.
tkboxer
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you already own a HDTV this may bbe a product of interest to you, it upconverts standard DVD to 720p or 1080i. Not a bad investment for less than $200. There are other brands offering similar products, I just happen to be partial to Yamaha.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=451768&CTID=5001800&ATRID=1000&DETYP=ATTRIBUTE&RLTID=1505
headphonesman
Valued Member
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkboxer wrote:
If you already own a HDTV this may bbe a product of interest to you, it upconverts standard DVD to 720p or 1080i. Not a bad investment for less than $200.

Ditto...................The LG model DNX190UH also has a USB socket. I connect an external Portable 400 GB hard drive (which had to be partitioned to 80GB / 320 GB , (the LG can only "read and use" the small partition )where i can store approx 100 avi /divx files.........once watched they can be transferred over to the 320 GB side for long term storage making room for new entries.
The LG initially takes about 1 1/2 mins to "read" the partition , but thereafter it plays the file selected very well , and the upscaling is still available and can look very good

http://www.electricalcomparison.co.uk/Lg-Electronics_DNX190UH_.html

"You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me"
terryk
Resident Artist
Resident Artist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blu-ray is ahead right now because HD-DVD releases have slowed to a crawl. HD-DVD got off to a fast and good start but have let there advantage slip away. I own both and would prefer HD-DVD to "win" this war due to the fact it has a better picture (in my opinion). Blu-rays I've watched so far just don't have the sharpness HD-DVD has (both formats have there problems). There's still a long way to go in this battle as the average consumer will decide the winner and that won't happen until the hardware (and software) prices are in line or close to standard dvd prices.
tziamanik

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seeing the movies at my home theater (projection image 3meters). The Dvd quality is very poor. Especially when the movies have explosions.
I'm waiting the big data formats (hd or blue) but i think that i have to wait for along.... Sad
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Blackstar
Valued Member
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love HD tv channels and all,but there's no way I'm going to spend cash on either competing formats at this point.I am curious about the upconverting dvd players though..just waiting to test drive someone elses before I shell out the cash.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DVDCoverArt.org Forum Index :: General Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: